Review: Althea Petal Velvet Sunaway Sunblock & Petal Velvet PowderBef

It's been sometime since I reviewed products here... Most times I bet you would just look at instagram full of product pics and pick one to buy based on those short reviews on IG? I wanted to do reviews on IG too but sometimes there are limitations to the photos I wana put in there. Or... maybe I'm just a perfectionist. ^_^" I just wanted to show pictures that are big and clear enough for all to judge how the product appears on my skin. Anyhoo, enuf of my ramblings.. read my review away~~~

So it's actually been quite sometime ago that I received the products from Althea.
Here's what I received:
- Petal Velvet Sunaway SPF50+ PA++++
- Petal Velvet Powders in #0, #23, and #Pink Lavender
- Althea hologram pouch

Why is this series named Petal Velvet you say?
Well, it is because these products are made to provide a petal-like finish! ☼♥~
Petal Velvet Sunaway + Powder Set

So back in October, I brought these babies to Macau where weather is drier, less humid than in Singapore. I was testing it in a totally different climate for a start.

Look at this Hologram pouch! Sho prettyyyy~♥

Aside from receiving the Petal Velvet products, I also used credits in Althea to buy more stuffs from Korea! (Some items in the pic below are not from Althea) Most of my choices are cushions because I wanted to try all sorts of cushion! It's been so long since I used a cushion too. It wasn't until about a year later, I found out that there are better cushions out there that would not cake on my face after long hours of wearing it.
I will introduce and review all these products one by one next time! ^,~

Packaging
All Petal Velvet series products are in pastel pink and the description and ingredient list are in Korean.

Expiration date are stamped on the packaging of the products.


Petal Velvet Sunaway Sunblock SPF 50+ PA++++
A lightweight sunscreen that protects the skin from UV rays with a petal-like finish.
- non-chemical* formula with a light, fluid texture to protect the skin from both UVA and UVB rays.
(*Non-chemical UV filter: Builds up sunscreen filter on the surface of the skin and scatters UV light.)
- contains micro particles that absorb and control sebum and excess oil from the skin to give a light, velvety finish.
- gentle on sensitive skin without chemical ingredients.
- applies evenly and smoothly onto the skin without leaving a white cast behind. This is due to an advanced non-chemical UV filter with a more transparent formula.
- contains Damask rose extract, a natural nanomolecular composition that is rich in vitamins to penetrate deep into the skin, soothing sensitivities and strengthening it for a radiant glow. It helps to moisturize and smoothen the skin too.

The ingredients for this sunblock are listed at cosdna website.

How to use?
Apply a generous layer evenly onto the face in the morning or before sun exposure.
*Shake Well Before Usage

Swatch
I don't apply my sunblock in this manner actually, I'm just showing the product opening next to the product on my face. lolx~
What I do when applying sunblock is, shake the bottle rather vigorously so that the product inside are mixed really well, then quickly squeeze them out from the bottle onto my hand. I measure the amount by pouring the sunblock onto my middle and index finger. When the product covers about 2/3 of the size of my middle finger, I stop. Then spread the sunblock on both hands and lightly pat it onto my whole face including under eye area and neck (sometimes back of neck too to prevent the sun from burning the skin on the back of my neck when I tie my hair up).
Petal Velvet Sunaway sunblock swatch

After application.
What I really like best about Petal Velvet Sunaway is that it really provides a very velvety finish. It is crucial for oily skin type like mine because my skin often look oily with or without applying skincare products. The sunblock is as described, very lightweight and has a powdery touch to it which I really, really like.

Before After
I applied half of my face with Petal Velvet Sunaway. The other half with a sunblock from other brand.
As seen, on your right (my left) has a white cast to it when I didn't blend the sunblock on my face properly enough. While for the Sunaway sunblock, it looks pretty even. Although it has no white cast to it but I do find that it somehow makes my skin look slightly fairer (artificially).

After wearing Petal Velvet Sunaway for more than 6 hours... My skin had greased up quite much because of my skin type. Depending on the skincare and sunblock that I use, sometimes it turns less oily, if not more oily.. but never NOT oily. hahhax~ ^▽^"
As you can see from the following pic, on the left, my skin kind of looks a little tighter and the pores look smaller than on the right. That's because Sunaway sunblock doesn't make my skin very oily like the other sunblock and it gives an astringent effect to my skin.
Do note that these photos were actually taken in Singapore, not Macau. But I will review the products based on my experience using them in both climates.
Before & After applying Petal Velvet Sunaway SPF50+ PA++++

Review
 After using Althea Petal Velvet Sunaway, I feel that it:
- is very lightweight, smooth, silky
- has a velvety finish and touch after blending it on my skin evenly
- does not have a strong white cast but still kind of artificially make my skin look slightly fairer, smoother
- still makes my skin produce sebum after some hours
- doesn't irritate my skin at all
- stings my eyes a little when the product gets too close to them
- is better to be used alone than to be used as a base for makeup or before any kind of makeup as it could make the foundation look cakey after half a day
- makes my makeup look slightly thicker than normal
- makes my skin quite dry looking when I used it in Macau which in turn made my makeup cake pretty bad because my skin kept on producing sebum due to the dehydrated skin surface
- makes my skin a little dry looking when I used it in Singapore (similar feel as like in Macau but skin feels and looks less dry than in Macau)
- is best for normal to oily skin types than dry, dehydrated skin types

Nowadays I only use Sunaway sunblock during times when I do not have makeup on and wanted a velvet non-oily natural looking skin. I use it most when I go to near by stores to buy groceries because that is the only time I do not have any makeup on. lolx~


Petal Velvet Powder #23 Warm Beige
Most of you might already seen this long ago. It was given free upon purchasing Althea products last time. I had redeemed the one in Pink Lavender shade and started using it back then. But I only took photos of this warm beige shade so I'm going to review this here and at same time give my thoughts about the Pink Lavender powder.

How to use?
Instead of pressing the puff into the jar, I usually pour the powder out on a tissue paper and use a separate puff if not a brush to apply powder on my face. This way, it is more hygienic and it will prevent germs and bacteria from growing within the powder inside the jar.
Althea Petal Velvet Powder in Warm Beige #23
Petal Velvet Powder in Warm Beige is actually pretty orange-y in shade. Even for me who has a warm yellow skin undertone finds the warm beige a little too orange.

Review
The following pic was taken at Macau where I brought along my RiRe Glow Cover Cushion from my Althea's purchase. It was my first time using RiRe cushion foundation and also Althea Petal Velvet Powder on top of this foundation.
Here, you can see that the powder reduces the appearances of some of my pores. It makes my skin looks velvety smooth!
This pic was actually taken under a orange light at a hotel and I managed to neutralised the colour for your visual. Under white light and natural sun light, my face actually looks pretty orange with the powder which almost makes me look like I have a mask on as the colour on my face differs from the colour on my neck.
Before & After applying Petal Velvet Powder
After using Petal Velvet Powder, I feel it:
- feels quite velvety smooth
- is rather pigmented (be it warm beige or pink lavender)
- is not really very fine
- piles up thick easily when I start layering the powder on my face
- requires a good puff or brush with a good application technique to not over pile the powder on the skin which in turns make the make up look cakey
- makes my face look really velvety and temporarily smoothens and covers up all my pores
- becomes dry after wearing it for half a day in Macau
- becomes a little dry after wearing it for half a day in Singapore (similar feel as like in Macau but my make up looks less dry than in Macau)
- is absolutely great to be used alone but in little amount and to be applied lightly as the shade is quite pigmented
- makes my dehydrated skin looks drier after few hours
- feels like I'm applying a powder type base foundation rather than a loose powder because of the pigments and how the powder piles up easily when it adheres to my skin
- best to be used alone without a base makeup
- suits normal to oily skin type better than dry or dehydrated skin type (I have oily yet dehydrated skin thus it becomes complicated when I start using products such as this powder because I like the smooth velvet non-greasy finish but at same time, it makes my skin look dry)

As mentioned, the powders are pigmented. Pink Lavender when used on my skin makes me look kind of ghostly because it cancels away the warm tone from my natural skin.
It is best recommended for people who has normal to oily skin and only require loose powder type of foundation.


Price
Petal Velvet Set SGD$17.10
Petal Velvet Sunaway SGD$13
Petal Velvet Powder SGD$6

Where to buy?
Petal Velet Set
Petal Velvet Sunaway
Petal Velvet Powder

Links
Althea Website
Althea FB Page
Althea Instagram

Comments