Review: Bioderma Sébium Lotion & Mat Control

Hey yáll! It's been awhile since I last talked about my skincare routine. Today, I'll mention a little about my recent skin condition as well as what I'm using to combat my skin issues.

As stated in the title, Bioderma will be launching a new oil-fighting skincare products under the Sebium range, targeting the source of oily skin by biologically regulating the quality of skin's sebum. The products that are going to be up on the shelves are Sebium Lotion and Sebium Mat Control. And thanks to Bioderma, I got to try both products. ^_^

About Bioderma Sébium Range
Bioderma Sebium range contains Bioderma's Fluidactiv Patent, the only patent in the market that biologically regulates quality of sebum similar to that of healthy skin and stops the process which causes pimples and clogged pores to form, all thanks to Mannitol and a blend of antioxidants that help prevent the oxidation of squalene (present in sebum) and thickening of sebum.

Bioderma Sebium Lotion benefits:
- specially formulated for Asian Skin, the non-sticky toning lotion is made to soothe and treat oily skin
- contains Glycerin which provides 8-hour hydration
- limits the growth of P.acnes bacteria with Capryloyl Glycine (amino acid) and regulates skin's pH to a healthy level
- contains Zinc Gluconate and Vitamin B6 which reduces sebum production and provide anti-bacterial properties
- contains Salicylic Acid which helps in gentle exfoliation and refines skin's texture
- contains astringent properties of Mushroom Extract that tightens pores

Bioderma Sebium Mat Control benefits:
-  helps to effectively control excess oil,soothe skin and prevent dryness
- uses Matt & Smooth Technology which includes mattifying micro powders and silicones, promising a 8-hour shine control and smooth effect
- contains Glycerin which provides 12-hour hydration
- contains Zinc Gluconate and Vitamin B6 which ensures clear complexion and smooth skin in 7 days
- refines and improves skin's texture with the help of Salicylic Acid
- contains Mushroom Extract's astringent properties that minimises the appearance of large pores


Before
Here's my skin before I began using the 2 products given to me. I had been suffering from mild acne since young. It comes and go frequently, sometimes coming back really bad sometimes not. For this recent weeks, I'm on the mild side. Most big inflamed clogged pores were gone, leaving scars (as can see in photo) and I was still experiencing little closed comedones (clogged pores) which caused raised bumps & red spots here and there on my face. Skin turned pretty oily after couple hours of putting on my morning skincare.

From this photo, you can see there are inflammation (red spots) around my cheek area, above the lips, small little ones along jaw line and even on my neck.
All these issues that I'm facing are generally caused by 3 big factors that are:
Hormones
- Imbalances and changes in hormonal activity can result in the excess production of sebum
- Risk of qualitative sebum abnormality.
- Having thicker sebum that has a more difficult time flowing out of the follicle, which increases the risk of clogged pores and pimples.
- prevents damage to skin immune system and preserves antioxidant reserve
 Improper Skincare
- Using skincare products that are not suitable for our skin can irritate and worse acne-prone and oily skin.
- For eg, the use of aggressive cleansing products can lead to skin barrier issues, pH instability and reactional hyperseborrhea, where skin produces even more sebum to compensate for the removal of all the sebum from skin's surface .
Lifestyle
- Diet and stress are factors that can influence the production of sebum.
- For eg, a high-glycemic diet (sugar, flour, rice etc) and high stress levels elevate hormones that increase the activity of sebacrous glands, contributing to the formation of acne.


So now, I'm all ready to use the products to combat my skin issues~


Bioderma Sebium Lotion
This originally came in 200ml but the one I gotten is 50ml. However this small bottle last me like forever! I'll say why in a moment. ^_^

Packaging
This travel size bottle comes in flip cap type, easy to dispense. The lotion drips out easily when I give the bottle a little shake or tap. Product has 6 months shelf-life after opening.

Application
The cotton pad that I use is extraordinary thin so that I do not waste the lotion to those thick cotton pads, thus the reason why I said that the lotion last me forever. I only used about 1/4 of the whole bottle by end of 2nd week.

After applying lotion to my whole face avoiding the eye area.
After using the lotion, I feel that it:
- is very watery
- has an astringent effect
- feels minty, cooling on my skin
- feels slightly sticky after the skin starts to absorb the lotion
- feels matte-smooth after fully absorbed
- smells clean and nice, the fragrance is pretty strong although in the ingredient list, it was listed at the most bottom
- after it gets absorbed into the skin it leaves a very subtle scent behind


Bioderma Sebium Mat Control
I was sent the Mat Control moisturiser in full size (30ml).

Packaging
This product also has 6 months shelf-life after opening. Expiry date indicated on the back of the packaging, at the top area. Comes in squeeze tube type, very simple and dispense product easily.

Application
I usually squeeze about 1.5 pea size of Mat Control for the whole face avoiding eye area.

After applying Bioderma Sebium Mat Control avoiding eye area.
After using the moisturiser, I feel that it:
- has a very light consistency
- has a smooth watery-emulsion texture
- has a little bit of astringent effect
- feels a lot less cooling on my skin in compare to the lotion
- spreads very easily, able to cover whole face with just a pea size of product
- is non-sticky
- hydrates my skin pretty well
- feels matte and smooth on my face, but the skin appear a tad glossy after application
- appears matte when I look at my skin from afar
- scent is a little stronger than the lotion, reminds me of the clean scent from disinfectant
- just like the lotion, it leaves a subtle scent behind after product is absorbed into the skin


After >8 hours
Photo below taken after wearing the skincare for more than half a day.
Skin started to oil up quite a little and I cleaned it up with light washing. Looking at my skin closely, I noticed that the inflammation has subsided. Skin appears much cleaner but it looks a little taut. There are still a few little inflammation surfacing on my nose area but overall skin looks less blemished.


After a week
Following photo shows my skin after using the products for a week.
As you can see, most blemishes have gone. Each day passes by with lesser new spots appearing on my face. I still experience tiny red inflammation every other day but they are not of a size that bothers me too much unlike the ones I had before. Although skin looks textured but in actual fact when my hands run over my face, it feels so smooth with no bumps caused by clogged pores and what not. Majority of the smooth skin effect is due to using the lotion, it does by removing the dead skin cells, white heads and excess sebum.

Overall Review
As all of our skin are different, we might need to use different amount of product based on our skin condition. For mine, I have combi skin with mild acne and I also have dehydrated skin surface due to aging and environmental stress. When I found out that my skin appear rather taut after using the lotion twice daily, I decided to switch to using the lotion only once a day or use it every other day to prevent my skin from over-exfoliated from the ingredient Salicylic Acid. Sometimes I also combine a couple of drops of lotion with tons of Thermal Spring Water spray on my cotton pad to keep my skin more hydrated and less tight.
There is less need for weekly facial scrubs too because I felt that my skin began feeling really smooth after 3 days of using these 2 products. The lotion combined with the mattifying moisturiser allows my skin to look smooth and shine-free without looking too 'flaky' matte. The moisturiser also acts as a good base for my make up as it does not ruin the make up or make it look cakey.
Generally, I noticed that my pores appear deeply cleaned from impurities and gunk thus it made me feel much more happier looking in the mirror every morning after I wash up.
To sum it all, Bioderma Sebium Lotion and Mat Control are hero products for our Oily/Combi skin! ^,^


Last but not least, the tips for skincare is to be patient and stick with a targeted treatment programme, using products from a dermo-cosmetic range that's created for oily, blemish prone skin. Depending on the person and the type of acne, improvement is generally observed.

All Bioderma products reviewed in this post are:
- Soap-free
- Alcohol-free
- Hypoallergenic
- Non-comedogenic
- Lightly perfumed with an allergen-free fragrance
- Excellent tolerance


Price
Bioderma Sebium Lotion (200ml) S$33.90
Bioderma Sebium Mat Control (30ml) S$36.90

Other products from Sebium range:
Bioderma Sebium H2O (100ml/250ml/600ml) S$15.90/S$28.90/S$41.90
Bioderma Sebium Gel Moussant (200ml) S$33.90
Bioderma Sebium Pore Refiner (30ml) S$41.90
Bioderma Sebium AL (30ml) S$41.90

Promotion
Current promotion at Guardian: Buy 1 get 2nd item at 50% off

Where to buy?
Available from 1st June 2018 at:
Changi General Hospital, major Guardian and Watsons stores, Lazada Official Store, National Skin Centre, Robinsons, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Unity, Welcia-BHG and Zalora.

Comments